HCA Water logo

This section contains questions that the Hazleton City Authority frequently receives, along with quick answers to those questions. For more detailed information, browse the various pages of our website.

info-128Where can I pay my bill?

You can mail your payment to Hazleton City Authority, 400 E. Arthur Gardner Parkway, Hazleton, PA 18201 or visit our offices in person to pay your bill.

What are your hours of operation?

Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. We are closed on major holidays. In an emergency, call 570-454-2401 at any time and our answering service will ensure that we are notified of the problem so we are able to take care of it. Please give them your telephone number so we can return your call.

Is there a service fee to begin or restart water service?

There is a $35 fee to start water service or turn it back on if it has been disconnected for lack of payment.

What should I do if I am moving?

Contact our customer service department at 570-454-2401 or visit our offices. We will need to obtain a final meter reading and your new billing address.

How often does HCA send bills?

HCA bills its customers on a monthly basis.

Do you accept credit cards?

HCA is currently working on accepting credit cards. This will be a future payment option. 

What should I do with my drinking water in an emergency?

Boil your water at a rolling boil for one minute to kill any disease-causing bacteria in the water prior to using the water for cooking or drinking. This includes water used for making ice, washing food, brushing teeth and preparing drinks and drinking water for pets. You can wait for the water to cool or keep it in the refrigerator. Ice made during the time of the boil-water advisory should be thrown away.

We will alert our customers through the media and our website when a boil-water advisory is issued or lifted.

What is the total storage capacity of the Hazleton City Authority?

Our impounding reservoirs hold more than 700 million gallons of water and storage tanks throughout the four divisions are capable of storing an additional capacity of more than 10 million gallons.

How does a water tower work? 

Water towers are typically located on high ground and are tall in order to provide necessary water pressure to all the customers in that area. They store water by filling when demand is low.

Why is my water pressure low?

If the low pressure occurs in your entire house, it could be the result of a water line break or high water demands, particularly in the mornings and evenings when people are home from work or school. If you do not have sufficient water, please contact us at 570-454-2401 and we can check the pressure coming into your service line. However, if the water pressure varies throughout your home, the problem is most likely concentrated to your home and a plumber can help you alleviate the low pressure.

Is there chlorine in my water?

HCA adds a small amount of chlorine to the water during the treatment process for disinfection purposes and to ensure the water meets state and federal water quality standards. To see the amounts in our test results, click here.

Is there fluoride in your water?

Most of the water provided by HCA is treated with fluoride to promote strong teeth. Areas where water comes from wells do not receive fluoride in their water. To see which water is fluoridated, click here.

Is there lead in your water?

To see the results of sampling tests that measure lead and other components in HCA’s water supply, click here. Hazleton City Authority remains in full compliance with all of the requirements dealing with lead in drinking water.

Lead is rarely found in source water, but enters tap water through corrosion of plumbing materials. Lead in drinking water is primarily from materials and components associated with water service lines and household plumbing.

Hazleton City Authority is responsible for providing high-quality drinking water, but cannot control the variety of materials used in plumbing components. 

Homes built before 1986 are more likely to have lead pipes, fixtures and solder. However, new homes are also at risk: even legally “lead-free” plumbing may contain up to 8 percent lead. The most common problem is with brass or chrome-plated brass faucets and fixtures, which can leach significant amounts of lead into the water, especially hot water.

If present, elevated levels of lead can cause serious health problems, especially for pregnant women and young children. If you are concerned about lead in your water, you may wish to have your water tested. Information on lead in drinking water, testing methods and steps you can take to minimize exposure is available from the Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 800-426-4791 or at http://www.epa.gov/safewater/lead.

Does your water contain nitrates?

Hazleton City Authority’s normal range of nitrates is well below the MCL of 10 ppm and was not detected in samples collected during 2011.

Nitrate enters the water supply from fertilizers used on farms and natural erosion of deposits in the watershed. Levels above 10 ppm are a health risk for infants under six months of age and can cause blue baby syndrome. Check with your physician if you have questions.

What is the pH (acidity) range of your water?

Water in the distribution system averages 7.0 pH units. A pH of 7.0 is considered neutral, neither acidic nor basic.

How hard is your water?

Water hardness is a measure of the concentration of two minerals naturally present in water, calcium and magnesium. High hardness levels cause soap not to foam as easily as it would at lower levels. Hardness levels in the drinking water provided by HCA range from 25 ppm to 35 ppm, or 1.5 to 2 grains per gallon of water.

How much sodium is in your water?

The sodium level in HCA’s drinking water is approximately 16 ppm.

Why does my water sometimes look cloudy or milky?

The cloudy water is caused by small air bubbles in the water similar to the gas bubbles in soda and beer. After a little while, the bubbles rise to the top and are gone. The cloudiness occurs more often in the winter when the drinking water is cold and is enhanced by the aerators that are installed on modern home faucets.

What are the white particles in my strainers?

This occurs when a dip tube in the water heater is defective. It begins to shed plastic, which then goes through the plumbing and gets trapped in the strainers. Contact the water heater manufacturer or a plumber to fix the problem.